For the Record is a look back at the month that was: I share my current obsessions, future plans, and other snapshots from a life in progress.
Early fall is one of my busiest times of the year and September followed true to form. I spent the first post-Labor Day weekend away, the second and third weekends working, and the last weekend in bed, trying to recover from one of the most virulent colds I’ve had in a long time. Still side-eyeing the colleague who passed it on.
I’m on the mend, though, and ready to get back at it. Here’s what been happening, for the record:
My Favorite Wellness Tool
I’m letting you in on a little secret. When I was younger, I’d get sick nearly all the time. If it wasn’t a cold or flu during the winter months, it was allergies in the spring. I was miserable. Bless the day a colleague told me about the neti pot. This little wellness tool totally transformed my life, preventing a few sniffles from developing into a stuffy nose or shortening the lifespan of the common cold. It’s my sick season must-have. If you haven’t seen it in action yet, check out others’ first impressions of using one.
Glamp, the three-day outdoors retreat I participated in at the beginning of the month, changed everything for me. It re-awakened some of my old passions and gave me new interests and I’m trying to find ways to work everything in all while indulging in the perpetual Netflix-and-knit-fest that is my life right now. #Forevermad that humans have to spend nearly one-third of our lives asleep.
Call the Midwife on Netflix
Speaking of Netflix, I’m so glad I finally decided to start watching Call the Midwife. What a gem! So many heartwarming stories, charming characters (oh, Sister Bernadette!), and frank critiques on women’s health and women’s rights in East London during the 1950s and 1960s. You simply must check it out, but prepare yourself for some pretty realistic childbirth scenes.
Circling back to this period of busyness in my personal and professional lives, this month’s roundup of recommended reads is chock-a-block with bits about de-stressing and simplifying. Hope you find at least one thing that will inspire you to make a necessary change:
- The Barrenness of Busyness
- A Life Coach’s Simple Checklist Will Help Take Back Control of Your Life
- Office Hours: 10 Skills to Fine-Tune and Advance Your Career
- 6 Time Management Tips for Naturally Disorganized People
- How to Decorate Your Home to Promote Mindfulness
- 6 Easy Ways to Make Your Life So Much Less Stressful
- Dear Universe, I’d love to take a real, live, honest-to-goodness vacation. Hopefully somewhere remote. With lots of inclement weather, jagged cliffs, and storm-tossed seas where I can spend some time alone in a small, rustic cabin in front of a warm fire, knitting and reading and then knitting some more. That’s not too much for a girl to ask, is it?
- Until then, I’m looking forward to a little bit of travel, even if it isn’t to somewhere exotic and isn’t exactly a vacation. I’m all about those little doses of the unfamiliar when you can get them. More soon.